Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A House For An Imaginary Friend

My son Benjamin has had an imaginary friend for the past couple of years. Can you guess who it may be? Sometimes I find him playing alone with "Jerry." They even play boardgames together! His friend Jerry is from the cartoon "Tom & Jerry!" I have no idea why Jerry has all of a sudden become his friend, but he has and I'm totally fine with that. Someone I know suggested that I don't play into this imaginary friend thing. But I find it harmless and have read that it probably means he's creative and imaginative.
 For awhile now I haven't heard anything about Jerry. But the other day while driving in the car, I noticed that Ben was very sad. Since I had just picked him up from school, I thought that something may have occurred there. So I asked him what was wrong. He said: "Jerry moved away with his family." And he said it with this sad sigh as he put his head against the seat. I asked him why Jerry couldn't move back in with us, and he said because Tom would probably chase him! lol I thought about it for awhile and then I came up with a solution.

I have a bin full of unfinished birdhouses in storage that I have never gotten around to painting. So I let Ben choose which house would be suitable for his friend and he came up with this one.

I really wanted to paint this myself with big funky polka dots and bright colors, but he only let me paint just a little bit. I guess I'll need to make my own mouse house! lol
 He was really drawn to the glittery paint.
 Here is his finished "mouse house." He was soo proud! According to Ben, Jerry's last name is "Mouse"...so I painted that on the doormat! Hopefully this house is big enough because Ben said there are 200 mice in Jerry's family! lol
 This photo cracks me up! lol He has that look on his face like he is thinking: "Come let me lure you into this mouse house with a trap...Muahahahahahaha!"
 Here is Ben's mouse house with a little plant that we added on the porch! It sits beside his bed so Jerry and his family of 200 can move back in with us! And all is well again! :)

2 comments:

Justjanesinsaneblog@blogspot.com said...

That is great! I love that you let him use his imagination. Very important. When I was little I had an imaginary friend named " Skunky". He was a skunk, I think. Anyway one day when my Mom tucked me into bed she sat on him, and killed him. I was inconsolable. I remember that, still! Good to see you blogging again, Jane

Kristin - The Goat said...

What a great idea!! and a great looking house. I'm glad you helped him allow Jerry to move back in :)