Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Last Day of Preschool & Teacher Gift

Today was Ben's last day of Preschool! My little man is growing up way too fast! Here he is with his wonderful teacher Mrs. Spotts! She is the best teacher ever, and I wish I could be five-years-old again so I could be in her class!
I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for a thank you gift, so I came up with this jar. I found several ideas online and just combined them all to come up with this!

I found this medium size jar at Walmart. It is basically sort of square and has a screw on lid. I liked it because it has a line towards the bottom of the jar, and it made it easy to line up my crayons straight!

I made two of these jars. This one is my first attempt. With this first one I used a hot glue gun and glued the crayons to the glass. I don't know if there was some sort of residue on the glass, but a few of my crayons popped off! This was very frustrating, because I didn't want to give a gift that was falling apart. So I used two rubber bands to help keep the crayons in place! I then covered the rubber bands with the ruler printed ribbon to hide them! My second attempt at this project, I skipped the glue and just used the rubber band to hold the crayons on! It also makes it easier so they can reuse the crayons and not have to worry about pulling the glue off of each one.
I found the faux chalkboard at Joanns and used White Uni-ball gel pen to create the "chalk-like" appearance. I was going to use that air-dry white modeling clay to make teeny tiny chalk to glue on the chalkboard, but I couldn't find any at Walmart, and I figured a small detail like that may get overlooked anyhow.

I then added a little tag that said: "Thank you for making me a smartie!" And I filled the jar with smartie candy! A medium jar like this took a bag of 60 smartie candies (which was also found at Walmart). My sister had to locate the candies for me, because I couldn't find any at my two local Walmarts. Oh and it took 57 crayons to cover the jar!
Yummy! Speaking of "smarties" have you seen the giant smarties candy yet? It's probably three times the size of a regular pack! How fun!

Hope you're enjoying your week! Mine has been a busy one!

5 comments:

Amber M. said...

Oh.My.Goodness.

That is the cutest idea for a teacher gift! Filing that one away...

Anonymous said...

this is such a cute idea/gift for a teacher. I love how creative you are.

Anonymous said...

Thats a really cute idea :) Keep em comin..I'm learning from you. :)
-Lisa

Unknown said...

Love this idea, i'm going to attempt this one today after a trip to the craft store! I'll let you know how it goes!

mellie said...

Would it be a bad idea to use the hot glue gun? Would love to know your thoughts on this. This is really cool. Thank you for sharing!