Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Busy Week!

Sorry that I haven't been online in a couple of days, I've been extremely busy. My husband has been in North Carolina for the last three days! I cannot wait until he gets here tonight! It's just been so hectic with the boys. I don't particularly care for his work schedule, he's at work 14 hours a day so that in itself is crazy enough, but I dread it when he is not here for days at a time! Thank goodness that doesn't happen often!

I'm so much more appreciative of him now since he's been on this trip. That's because when he's here he bathes the boys and puts them to bed. Plus, he's the one that changes the diaper pail! Eww....I had to do that last night and believe me it was disgusting! I had my shirt up over my head! I can't handle that smell! And it's a tiny little diaper pail and boy was it unbelievably heavy! Who knew dirty diapers could weigh that much?! lol I just didn't realize that those simple little things that he does helps out a great deal! I think that I'll bake him a cake to show him that he's appreciated!

One thing that I gained while he was gone was- Confidence! I always use to dread taking both kids with me shopping or to doctor's appointments. They are usually very well behaved, but you know how it can be with a near two and three year old! In the past, I would usually call my mom and leave one of them with her. Well when my husband was gone, my mom happened to be gone too! Talk about feeling alone! The day before my husband left I started having like an anxiety attack! I felt like- where could I turn? Everyone is either gone or working and it's just "me!" I started having scenarios in my head such as: what if one gets sick, what if one breaks an arm? What will I do?

But looking back over the past week, it went really well! I had to take my son to his eye doctor's appointment on Monday. Having them both there went well! My youngest almost had a tantrum because of the long wait, but I talked him out of it. After the appointment we even went to the craft store for about 45 minutes! Then we went home! It was awesome!

Later that night my youngest pulled his big brother's glasses off and bent them badly so the following day we had to go back to the eye doctors! lol So we ended up going to Target and Walmart and even went to the playland at McDonald's! I am finally so comfortable and confident in my abilities to be a mother! It only took what....three years! lol

Today I decided- why stay at home? I'm in the mood for thrift shopping! We went to two thrift stores and they were perfect angels and I didn't even have to bribe them! They both wanted to ride the mechanical pony but I stayed firm and told them "no!" They didn't even cry or throw a fit! I was very impressed! My oldest did ask me a couple times, but I didn't give in!

ALthought my day went well, it was a little challenging at dinner tonight. I gave them two choices and they aggreed on pork chops. Well my son took probably one bite of corn and one bite of pork chops and said that he was done and wanted a snack. I again stayed firm and told him not until he eats most of his dinner. So he cried a little and pouted. Then he came up to me and told me he was ready to eat his food. And he did! He ate most of what was on his plate! My youngest however wouldn't eat anything! I think he took one bite of corn and that was it. When I told him that he was going to have to eat his dinner in order to get a snack he tried to fool me by putting corn on his spoon and then dumping it off and taking a bite of an empty spoon! It didn't work and he didn't get a snack! That was probably the hardest part seeing him cry because his brother was eating a snack and he wasn't. But I want him to understand that he has to obey the rules in order to get the rewards.

Later I was in the kitchen cleaning up the dishes when I heard a shriek. I'm sure you mothers out there can relate to knowing the differences between your children's cries....right? Well my youngest had that type of cry and I knew immediately that he was hurt! The corner of his eye was bleeding! My oldest Ben immediately told me that he hit his younger brother in the eye with a piece of train track! It didn't bleed too badly and it's only swollen a little. Luckily, it didn't hit his eyeball. I forgot to mention that earlier today he fell and split his lip! That was a gusher! He seems to be the one that always has accidents! He's my little daredevil!

Anyhow, we really did have a great week! It snowed really bad here for a few days, but all in all it hasn't been too bad. The only real problem is I finally have a few hours to myself before my husband gets home and I can't find my Richard Gere "Unfaithful" movie! And I so want to watch a Richard Gere movie! I guess I have to settle for another!


Kelli said...

I experienced a confidence boost like that when my husband went to Atlanta for 5 days and I was left with a three year old and a newborn. It was the best thing that could have happened to me. It made me a better mother I think. I'm glad you survived

echoeve said...

It sounds like you had a good week with the boys.
what did you buy at the craft store?


May love and joy come to you!

Peace and love,

Rambling Girl said...

Missing you Ruth Ann! Hurry back!