Monday, November 2, 2009

Make Some Art Monday

Today is week 2 of "Make Some Art Monday" over at Chrissie's blog: In His Grace.
Usually she has a weekly theme to go from. And this week I totally had an idea for the piece of art that I wanted to create. Unfortunately, I've been sick all week long and was unable to even start it!

I did however manage to make this simple little wall quilt for my sister's birthday. She lives out of state and loves "Americana" themed decor. So this is what I came up with. I used muslin for the center of the quilt, and mixed equal parts of acrylic paint with a textile medium for fabric. I then used a foam brush and brushed the paint on my boy's hands and pressed them to the muslin.

I really didn't have to use the textile medium because this probably will never need washed. But I used it anyway- just in case.
It is both machine and hand quilted. The only thing hand quilted is the stitching around the handprints and the binding is hand quilted as well using a blind stitch. This was a really quick project probably took no more than 4 hours total. It would have taken less time, but I totally forgot how to add the binding...so I had to add it once, take it off and then add it again!

It measures approximately 11"x13."

I used no pattern, I just freehanded everything....it's more fun that way! I have many more ideas for little wall quilts that I hope to share with you soon! This was soo fun! I forgot how fun it is to make a mini quilt!

I'm going to be busy over the next couple of days. So I will not post anything until at least Friday! Have a great week!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ruth Ann
This is really cute!
My favorite part is how you stitched around the boys handprints and put their names. That would make a really great Christmas ornament, too!
Thanks so much for playing!:)
xo
Chrissie

Unknown said...

so cute I love it :)

Kristin - The Goat said...

She is going to love it! Have a great time on your trip :)

noodle and lou said...

hey ruth ann! thanks so much for stopping by my blog! this is really cute...what a treasure with the hand prints!! love it:) happy weekend! xox...jenn

luci said...

I really like the quilt - especially with the hand prints!

Georgia Girl said...

Hey Ruth Ann....I just wished you lived near me so you can teach me how to sew...I have my machine but I am still scare dof it...

Love what you made...heck I love all the stuff you show on your blog.

Anonymous said...

I love your idea of posting art. I've been making christmas gifts and I'd love to share the ideas.