Sunday, January 18, 2009

Here We Go Steelers....Here We Go!

Today we went to my father-in-law's for a Steeler party! I was very excited because a party meant that I could make a cake! I don't even like eating cake, I only like creating them! Here is a photo of the cakes that I made. Yes: "cakes!" I was only supposed to make one, but my husband didn't think that would be enough- so I spent all day decorating! The darker one has chocolate icing, and the lighter brown cake has butter cream icing. One would have been plenty, half was left of each cake!
The Steeler logos are actually done out of white wafer chocolate. I put the wafers in a Ziploc and dyed the candy accordingly to what I needed, then cut a very small whole in the bag and piped it onto wax paper. First I did the white background of the logo, then I waited until that set, and then I did the black outlines of the diamonds and after that set I filled it in with color. It's an awesome technique that I love to use. I got the idea from the book "The Whimsical Bakehouse." It gives you awesome ideas for creating a really cool personalized cake.

Before the game we had dinner. My father-in-law made cabbage rolls...they sure were delicious! After dinner we took the boys and went sled riding. This was the first time my boys ever went sled riding. They had soo much fun! Actually it was Ben who had the fun. Alex ended going down the hill once, and lost a shoe....that was it for him! He's still at that age where he's scared of things. He went inside to watch the game with the boys, while Ben had fun sledding with his Aunt and cousins!

Here's a photo of Ben and myself before we went outside. I love the look on his face, he said "Daddy are you done yet?" Ben gives attitude when I constantly take his photos!

Here's Alex going up the hill behind everyone. It reminded me of Randy on the Christmas Story when all the kids leave him behind in his giant snowsuit!

Ben has found a new sport that he loves: snowboarding! He always has to do what the big kids do!
How cute! He looks like a little pro! He did really good! His cousin Nick would leave go of him and he'd go about ten feet before falling!

And here's a photo of me and my boys in our Steeler gear! Yes I am wearing a Steeler jersey, it's just PINK! My husband says it doesn't count because it's not black and gold, but that's ok by me....with an all boy household I need to make some things as girly as possible!

Here we go Steelers....Here We Go!
Hugs,
Ruth Ann

6 comments:

Cheri said...

Whoo Hoo Steelers! It was a good game, wish I was there to eat some of that yummy looking cake.

From another PA Fan transplanted in GA

Amber M. said...

I LOVE your pink Steelers jersey...I have a pink Nebraska shirt, too. I love my team, but who doesn't love pink...just a little more!!

And the cakes? Fabulous.

Unknown said...

The cake looks good you did a great job! The snow looks so fun we never get snow here!

Pink does count I wear GA Bulldog pink stuff all the time! It counts girl!

Kristin - The Goat said...

I agree, you just have to do pink when you live with a bunch of boys. If nothing else it's a little reminder :)

Your cakes are fantastic! so clever, so very clever.

Kristin

echoeve said...

I just want to say you are so lucky to not only know what a cabbage roll is you also have a dad who makes them. I remember when I first moved to the south and I introduced my husband and his family on cabbage rolls. Yummy!!

I love the pink steeler jersey.

Georgia Girl said...

Woohoo for the Steelers also!
Love the cakes Ruth...You really are talented in this field...Awhh your boys are so cute!

Yep Pink is a good thing...I have a GA Bulldog pink tee...love my dawgs!