Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bird Nest-Day 18

I'm a grandma! Look what I found in the nest tonight! Two little babies and one egg to go! This is so exciting! I saw a lot of activity today at the nest and it made me wonder whether the babies had hatched.

It's been really cold here lately in the 30's and 40's and my husband and I were concerned today that the eggs might not hatch. While outside on a couple of occasions I noticed the mama bird on the nest and the daddy bird would come to the nest to drop off food. It seemed that the mama bird would hop to the side of the nest and this made me curious to what could be going on!

Later I saw the nest unattended. Well it wasn't really unattended, she was perched on the railing of the kid's play set. So I ran down and climbed the ladder and saw these two cuties looking up at me! They weren't actually looking since their eyes are still closed, but they were hungry! So I ran inside and grabbed my camera and took a quick photo!

I only took a couple quick ones, because I didn't want to make the parents mad and I didn't want the babies to get cold! After I ran back in the house I saw that the mama was quickly back on the nest! She's such a good mama! I'm so glad she is keeping them warm and taking such good care of them! Oh and the boys have established names: The mama bird is "Robin," the daddy bird is "batman," the one baby is "Mr. Freeze," the other baby is "Joker," and the unhatched egg is "The Penguin!" lol Is anyone sensing a Batman theme? lol And Ben said that once the egg is hatched "The Penguin" will turn into "Poison Ivy!" lol What an imagination!


Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get some photos of the daddy bird feeding the mama and babies! And hopefully egg number three will hatch! I'll keep you updated!

2 comments:

Kristin - The Goat said...

How exciting!! I'm so happy that the babies have hatched and that you got a photo of them. You've gained a teeny bit of that trust back with the momma, I mean Robin :)

Love the names the boys came up with - how cute!

Anonymous said...

Great photo RA .. I agree with K .. i love the names the boys came up with .. too funny ..