Sunday, February 22, 2009

Organizational Craft For On The Go!

I really love crafts...but the best thing is when you can mix crafts with organization! I also love these little snap totes! I have been using one for awhile for my sewing items, and I thought it would be cool to make one for the boys for when we travel! So that the boys can tell which tote is theirs, I personalized them! I put inside those odds and ends type of toys that they love, but don't see very often! These toys are usually at the bottom of their toy boxes! The best way to find fun and unusual little toys is at yard sales! You can find little trinkets for around a quarter a piece!On the first layer I have their little toys like matchbox cars, little people, animals, and trains. On the bottom layer is an "on the go art kit" with stickers, scrap paper, and crayons. Ben loves flashcards, so I put a set inside his box! They are super cheap to make and super easy! I rarely have enough time to craft when the boys are around and I made these little babies in no time at all!
Top Layer (toys):
Bottom layer (art supplies):

They were very simple to make. I bought the snap totes for $4.97 each at Walmart. For the tags I bought these clear i.d. holders (package 12) for $1.64 also from Walmart. I used up some of the scrapbooking supplies and papers that I have, and used my new Cricut machine to make the die cut initials. I cut their photo down to size, and I then put it in the i.d. holder. I attached the i.d. photo holder to the handle with some leftover ribbon that I had and there you go and easy peasy way to keep your kids occupied on the road! And at just alittle over $5.00 for each one! You can get much more creative with your contents...but I threw some stuff together for a quick post! Enjoy and happy creating!

15 comments:

Kristin - The Goat said...

You just threw some stuff in the container?? How could you! LOL

It looks like a great system and I love the photo IDs! I'm actually the most jealous about the cricut machine. I've heard they are the bees knees.

Darlene said...

Morning Ruth Ann,

That is a great idea and always ready for you to grab and keep them occupied.♥

Kelli said...

This is a great idea. I'm going to have to try it. Right now I just have a bookbag full of stuff, but this would be much easier.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome idea! I love the tags with the photos! The little creative touch is fabulous. :)

Unknown said...

Great idea I love when everything is organized don't you?

Amber M. said...

These are absolutely fabulous. I love the id holders with their sweet pictures in them...and I'm all about the monogram, too!!

CLPrim said...

What a wonderful idea. Love that. Hope your doing well. Thanks for signing up for our last Crazy ladies Primitives giveaway. We are having a new one going on right now. Please come by for a visit and sign up today. Talk soon!
Crazy Ladies Primitives

Georgia Girl said...

Oh I love this idea Ruth Ann! I am going to have to make one for Lexi. She would love this.

mysteryhistorymom said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing! And did you say you just got a Cricut??! Lucky girl! Can I come over and play?:) Lori

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

You're a genius...I love these ideas.
I also wanted to thank you once again for the movie, Ruth Ann. The message behind it was very touching. We enjoyed it so much! I also linked to your Etsy Shop in my post today.
Have a good weekend.

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

Let's try this again...Something went haywire with my last post which messed up the rest of my Site, so I had to delete it. I will re-post it later today. I'm a dork. Hee-hee!

mysteryhistorymom said...

Ruth Ann- Just a reminder that your Birdie Swap package needs to be mailed to your partner by this Wed. the 25th. Please let me know when you send/receive your goodies!:) Lori

Georgia Girl said...

Missing you Ruth Ann! Hope all is well!
Beth

Elise said...

That is too cute!! I love it!! Don't you just love the cricut?? I am having so much fun with mine.
Elise

Georgia Girl said...

Ok I am missing you...where are you and I hope all is well with you!