Sunday, October 17, 2010

Movie Monday-Cotton Club

I know, I know....I've been a really bad blogger and I apologize! Ever since school started with my son, life has become so hectic. Plus the Fall soccer season started and there are practices, games, and homework for school! Up until recently, it has felt extremely hard just to keep up with the everyday tasks of life!

I organized my house, totally. I mean cleaned closets, organized, and packed away the boy's summer wardrobe. I use to live in CHAOS (can't have anyone over syndrome). But now that my house is clean, anyone can stop over anytime and I'm not rushing like a mad woman and hiding stuff in closets and under the bed! lol

Now that I am totally organized, I am finally ready to focus on some "me" time...including this blog! The past couple of weeks I've been focusing on my art and it finally feels good to create again! I'll share some of my work with you in the next couple of weeks. I also want to stock my Etsy shop so I can earn a little extra money for Christmas!

So onto Movie Monday! This week's review is about the movie "Cotton Club." It is from 1984 and stars Richard Gere (of course) and a very young Diane Lane. It also stars Gregory Hines, a young Nicholas Cage, Laurence Fishburne among many others.
The movie is about the Cotton Club, a famous club in Harlem. Richard Gere plays the character of Dixie Dwyer. He is a musician who plays in a band and happens to be at the right place at the right time...or so he thinks. He saves the life of a well known gangster and because of this he gets wrapped up in the gangster's life...which is a life of crime. Once he's in, he finds it very hard to get out!

Diane Lane plays the character of Vera Cicero, who is the gangster's girlfriend. It is one of Dixie Dwyer's jobs to keep her entertained for his boss.

As I said it is about a famous jazz nightclub called "The Cotton Club." Gregory Hine's character auditions to be one of the club's entertainers and he makes it in! If you have never seen Gregory Hine's perform, it is worth renting this movie! His tap dancing is amazing! There is a lot of jazz music, dancing, and singing...it's really entertaining.

I was actually dreading watching this movie, because it is so old and it's not a typical Richard Gere romance movie. PLUS, he is young in this movie and if you have read my blog you know I prefer the old man Richard Gere! lol But I was very surprised, it was a great movie to watch!

I give this movie a Richard Gere hotness rating of a 7. The movie was to depict the olden days. The days of the flappers. I have been trying to see what era this movie was from, but I can't find any info. Anyway, I rate it a 7 because I love the ways men dress in the olden days! Very sophisticated! And plus RG plays a few instruments in this movie and that makes him super sexy as well! lol

A little RG factoid: He is a pianist and writes his own music. He wrote and played the piano piece in Pretty Woman. If you notice he plays many different intruments in different movies, and it's really him playing them!
It is an instant download right now if you have Netflix so you may want to try it out! Also you can view a clip of the movie here. Just remember to turn my music player off of the right hand side of my page.

More posts in the next couple of days so be sure to stop back! Have a great week!

No comments: